Category Archives: How-to


DTS Frequently Asked Questions?

What is DTS? DTS is an online system that automates temporary duty (TDY) travel. It allows active duty Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard members to create authorizations, book reservations, receive approval, generate payment vouchers, and direct payments to their bank accounts and Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC).
Where do I go for DTS assistance? Ask your supervisor who your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA) is that serves your organization. Every traveler, reviewer and approver using DTS is required to contact their DTA for help in resolving any DTS-related issue.
 How do I register in DTS?
Read these instructions. your supervisor who your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA) is that serves your organization. Contact your DTA for assistance with any issued encountered when trying to register.  Your DTA will have the information unique to your organization needed to register.
Where can I find DTS Training? Look on the Defense Travel Management Office (DTMO) website.
How are DTS documents processed? Documents are submitted, processed, and approved at the organization responsible for funding the travel. Once approved by the organizational approving official, the payment is electronically sent to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for payment via electronic funds transfer (EFT) to the traveler’s bank account.
How do I apply for the Government Credit Card (GOVCC)? First, you must take required training online at:  After you complete your training you can take your certificate to your local Agency Program Coordinator (APC) to apply for the card. Your supervisor can tell you how to contact them.
When I login I get this error message: “Your account is locked or cannot be found…” Contact your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA) so that your account can be “received” from your prior organization. Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization. If you still get this error message, make sure you don’t have a second account that needs to be received.
I am a Department of Defense (DOD) employee but also serve in the Reserves/National Guard. How do I create a second account? Contact your current Defense Travel Administrator (DTA) and ask them to reset your profile. Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization. When you login,  DTS will ask for your social security number. Enter your number with a capital “R” for Reserves or “G” for National Guard, i.e. 123456789R or 123456789G. This allows you to register with a second SSN  (a second account). Contact your DTA to make sure the information for your organization is correct before you submit.
Why won’t DTS let me make changes to my profile? Changes to your profile must be made by your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA). Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization.
How do I create a document in DTS? Find detailed instructions online.
To create an authorization:
To create a local voucher:
To create a voucher:
How do I complete a Constructed Travel Worksheet (CTW)?  Read these instructions.
How do I check the status of my DTS submission?  Check document status by logging in to DTS. Go to “Official Travel” vouchers or authorization, and then look in the “Sort by Status” column. Or, go to the digital signature page within the document. If you can access to DTS, contact your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA) to check the status of your document. Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization.
What do the different status stamps mean?  Look at Appendix K of the DTS training document.
How do I cancel an Authorization? Read these instructions.
Note:  After a document is cancelled it can be accessed and adjusted but cannot be approved.
I have completed my travel but DTS says there is no Authorization from which to create a Voucher. Most likely the Authorization has not processed through the system or was adjusted after processing and must be routed through your organization again.”Contact your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA)” for help getting your Authorization processed. Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization.
How do I update the itinerary or reservations in a document? Read these  instructions.
If you are updating your Authorization:
If you are updating your Voucher:
I received notification that a payment was made but no funds have been deposited into my account.  Most likely your direct deposit, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) information, is incorrect in DTS. You must contact your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA). Ask them to “initiate an EFT Trace”. This returns the funds back to your organization. If the funds have already been returned to your organization and the document has been stamped “EFT RETURN” read these instructions on fixing your account information and resending your voucher.
My payment was made by check but I never received it. Read these instructions for tracing the location of your check.
My document is in the “CTO SUBMIT” status and will not move to my organization for approval. The Commercial Travel Office (CTO) has 24 hours from the time the Authorization has been stamped “SIGNED” to process reservations. If it has been longer than that contact your Defense Travel Administrator (DTA). Ask them initiate a helpdesk ticket through the Travel Assistance Center (TAC). Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization.
I have changed organizations but my DTS profile is still associated with my old organization. Detaching from an organization’s DTS database must be done by the Defense Travel Administrator (DTA) from your old organization.  Work with your current DTA to  contact your old DTA and request they detach you. DTA contact information is listed on the DTS homepage.
If your organization’s  information is not listed see your DTA and have them contact the Army DTS Tier 2.5 helpdesk to find out.
Why was my government credit card (GOVCC) reimbursed when I used my non-government travel card?  The government travel card is to be used to pay all travel related expenses.  See the Assistant Secretary of the Army directive at
DTS is designed to automatically reimburse the GOVCC for all expenses related to airfare, lodging, and rental car.  If you use a personal card,  adjust your voucher to have the funds deposited in your bank account. Open your voucher, click Additional Options, Payment Totals, and then scroll down to the GOVCC/Personal adjustments.
If the funds are paid to Citibank you must contact them to have a check monies mailed to you. If you need assistance in adjusting your document contact your  Defense Travel Administrator (DTA). Find out from your supervisor who the DTA is for your organization.
I received notification that my voucher resulted in a debt. Who do I need to contact?  Travel Debts occur because advance or partial payments were received and you didn”t submit a voucher to settle the travel claim or because an audit revealed an overpayment. DTS debts are established and managed at the organizational level by the Debt Management Monitor (DMM). Contact your Organizational DMM.


Share your calendar with people inside your organization.

Share your Office 365 or other Exchange-based calendar with people inside or outside your organization

If you have an Office 365 or other Microsoft Exchange-based email account, and you want to share your calendar with someone who is inside or outside your organization, you can give them permissions to view your calendar.

Share your calendar with people inside your organization

  1. Click Calendar.

    Calendar command

  2. Click Home > Share Calendar.

    Share Calendar button in Outlook 2013 Home tab

  3. In the email that opens, type the name of the person in your organization that you want to share your calendar with in the To box. In Details, specify the level of details that you want to share with the person in your organization, and then click Send.

    Invitation to share mailbox email internally - To box and Details setting

  4. The person in your organization receives the sharing invitation in email, and then clicks Open this calendar.

    Open this Calendar button on a received calendar sharing invitation

The shared calendar displays in the person’s Calendar list.

.PST file

Create an Outlook Data File (.pst) to save your information

When you run Outlook for the first time, the necessary data files are created automatically.Sometimes additional data files are needed. For example, older messages and items that you don’t use regularly can be archived to an Outlook Data File (.pst). Or, if your online mailbox is near your storage quota, you could move some items at an Outlook Data File (.pst).

  1. Click Home.
  2. Click New Items, point to More Items, and then click Outlook Data File.
  3. In the Create or Open Outlook Data File dialog box, in the File name box, type the name as you want it to appear in the Outlook folder pane, and then click OK.
  4. By default, data files are not password-protected. To add a password to your data file, under Password, type that password that you want to use in the Password and Verify Password text boxes.If you set a password, you must enter it every time that the data file is opened — for example, when Outlook starts or when you open the data file in Outlook.

    IMPORTANT:  Microsoft, your Internet service provider (ISP), or your email administrator don’t have access to your password, nor can they assist you with recovering the contents of the Outlook Data File (.pst) if you forget the password.

If you access your email account from multiple computers or devices, it’s important to know that when messages are moved to an Outlook Data File (.pst) they are available only on the computer where the file is saved.

About Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Outlook Data Files (.pst) are saved on your computer in the Documents\Outlook Files folder.

An Outlook Data File (.pst) is used for POP3 email accounts. Additionally, when you want to create archives or backup files from any of your accounts in Outlook, Outlook Data Files (.pst) are used.

Some accounts use an offline Outlook Data File (.ost). This is a synchronized copy of the messages saved on a server and that can be accessed from multiple devices and applications such as Outlook. These accounts include IMAP, Microsoft Exchange Server, and accounts.

Offline Outlook Data Files are saved in the drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder. It isn’t necessary to back up an offline Outlook Data File (.ost) as it is a copy of the information on the server. If you set up the account again or on another computer or device, a synchronized copy of your messages are downloaded from the server.